As the weather continues to cool off, and the air gets crisp, we can no longer deny that the wonderful season of fall is upon us! There a few things we can do to take advantage of everything fall has to offer when it comes to fitness and working out. Keep reading to find a list of things you can try this time of year to improve your wellness and exercise routine.
- Start running! Now is a great time of year to put on a vest or light jacket and go for a run or jog. You won’t get as warm as you would during the summertime, and the fresh air will keep you alert! To learn more about running from one of uOttawa’s stride to success instructors, Jenn Dumoulin, check out this article.
- Get creative with your outdoor workout. Try an outdoor circuit, running up and down some stairs (we are fans of the ones in strathcona park), a game of catch, soccer with the members of your social bubble, or some outdoor yoga just to name a few! If you have any interesting fall workout ideas, we’d love to hear them- tell us about what you’ve been up to in our Facebook group.
- Pick some apples! Get some exercise while checking out your local orchard and picking some delicious apples. If you’d like to add a bit more exercise to your day, opt out of getting the pre-picked apples, and go for a walk to pick them yourself. You will get to see the beautiful apple trees, and the extra effort will be well worth it. This is a great activity to do with your bubble that will allow you to get out of the house.
- Don’t get caught in the dark. As it starts to get darker earlier in the night, adjust your workout routine to fit your schedule. If you prefer to workout outside, make sure you make time to go to the gym or go for a run/walk before the sun sets!
- Layers, layers and more layers. Fall weather can be unpredictable. Avoid being uncomfortable by starting your workout in layers that you can easily peel off as you get warmer.
- There’s no shame in staying inside. If the weather is already too cold for you, we don’t blame you! We’ve got some great virtual fitness classes that you can do from the comfort of your warm cozy home. Check out our schedule here!
Since school has also started back up, it’s very important to remember to keep wellness and exercise as a priority on your list of to-dos! Do what works best for you, try new things and see what makes you feel the best.